Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Garden Update 12-25-13

We celebrated Christmas last night with the family so today just taking it easy with the hubby - and had some free time to take some pics of the garden.  Also re-potted some kale seedlings and planted more peas.

the last jalapeno.
Also noticed some new leaf growth after most of the summer leaves fell off - I did a little research and found out that in warmer climates peppers can be grown as perennial and often the second year has better production than the first!  Excited to find out if this is true... got about 15 peppers off this plant this year I think.

Parsley has a certain beauty in my opinion, and it really is delicious!  I chop and sprinkle it over potato, meat, and egg dishes, and sometimes just eat a few sprigs straight from the garden.  Its high in vitamins and antioxidants and tastes fresh, flavorful and somewhat salty.  I think this is more true with home grown parsley than the kind you would find as a garnish on your plate eating out or purchase from the grocery store - kind of like the difference between homegrown and store bought tomatoes.  I never use the dried stuff either, the fresher the better, all the more reason to grow your own.

Yummy Genovese Basil - one of my favorite herbs.

Curly kale with a leaf of red winter kale and a young Lucinato kale plant photobombing.

the peas are getting taller...

Closeup of one of my herb pots - basils, mint and parsley coexisting.

Another view of the same container.

...and another...

And William enjoying the sunshine!


No comments:

Post a Comment