Saturday, November 30, 2013

Whats in the Garden?

So you might think a couple of porches and a few windowsills isn't much space to grow food, and no its not!
But I do manage to grow quite a lot of things anyhow, I love variety.  Here's a rundown of all the edibles I've got growing right now, as well as a few flowers that I hope to attract beneficial insects with:

Kale - Lucinato, Red Russian, Curly (Dwarf Blue Scotch)
Chard - Fordhook Giant, Rainbow mix (Red, Yellow, White)

Spinach
Rosette Pak Choi (Tatsoi)
Sugar Snap Peas
Basil - Italian, Greek, Thai 
Purple Variegated Sage
Garden Sage
Rosemary
Oregano
Thyme
Chives
Garlic
Mint
Dill
Cilantro
Dwarf Lime Tree
Zucchini (planted it too late in the summer so its just getting blossoms now, wondering if it will produce anything - also seems to be dwarfed by being planted in a container.  Its kind of an experiment)
Tomatoes - Red Cherry (so my cherry tomatoes kept going all summer and then seemed to die back, but before I had a chance to rip them out they sent up new growth - I decided to let it be another experiment to see what happens, I know its probably too cool for any blossoms to pollinate but maybe they will overwinter in our mild climate and I'll get a head start on the growing season?  Or it will be a complete waste of time, we'll see)
Jalapenos
Orange Bell Pepper
Strawberries
Black Raspberries (although I'm not sure they're going to make it)
Lavender
White Alyssum
Freesia

The last 3 are meant to attract Pollinators.  The white allysum isn't my favorite flower for looks but it smells strongly of honey and is supposed to attract bees quite well - not sure how many would be around this time of year but we're still getting day temps in the 70s.

Well that's the rundown.  Can't wait to have more space to grow in so I can have even more variety and a lot more volume!  Oh and a compost heap would be really nice.  Maybe next year...





No comments:

Post a Comment